Saturday, March 21, 2009

Psychology Lesson

So- Here is my psych lesson to everyone. Actions are the result of feelings, feelings are the result of thoughts, and thoughts are not always rational. Dysfuncitonal behavior? Most likely stemming from an irrational thought. Let's break it down: Dysfuctional behavior-moping around the house. Thought-I am unloved and unappreciated because my husband plays video games when I get home from school instead of turning them off and asking how my day was. Irrational thought-He doesn't love me. Of course he does-he married me. Irrational thought-He should drop everything and greet me at the door and ask me how my day was. Did I do that for him? Can he end the game that fast? Is he a puppy? All no. Therefore, I was moping around being sad for nothing. Now let's try that again, the opposite direction. Rational thought-He doesn't know that I would like for him to pay me more attention. Feeling-Stupid for not realizing that earlier. New action-Telling him that I would like him to pay me more attention when I get home from school because I feel like we need to have quality time when I get home so that I can go to bed earlier. See? This is so easy. Every negative feeling basically comes from an irrational thought. So go back and figure out why you are not happy and what the real reason is for that feelings, and what new thoughts and behaviors and steps you can take to make yourself happy.

1 comment: