Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Vagina Monologues

So I recently auditioned for a spot in the Rowan University presentation of The Vagina Monolgues. And...I got a part! My piece is from My Vagina was my Villiage. It is a two person piece, with one person highlighting a positive view a woman had of her vagina and the second person alternates in with snipets of what happened to her during the war in Bosnia and Kosovo. The monolgue is done to honor the women of those wars, who faced a different kind of war in which they were repeatedly raped by the militia. And the shocking part is...I do the second piece, from the point of view of the woman who was raped. When I told Chris that I was in a play she was like, oh I could see you being an actress after the character I played at work with the kids. But she was kind of shocked I think, or at least surprised, that I have the serious role. I told her that it was part of my strategy when auditioning, that there were so many girls there to try for the happy parts, that I thought about trying out for a serious part would give me better chances of getting a part. (typical me, over thinking things) But all along I knew that I, probably better than anyone, could pull off that serious part. And so my mission in this play, is to bring this character to life, for people to feel the pain of those women, and to at least make the audience shed one tear. BUT,... and get ready for this....The aunt I was named after was a nurse in the Vietnam War, who unfortunatley was repeatedly raped by soldiers, was tormented when she returned home. Shortly after, she was in a terrible car accident and suffered from killer migraines. Both types of pain wore on her and she eventually committed suicide. Me doing this piece, will give her the voice she never had. You have goosebumps don't you! OMG!!! Me too!!!


March 30, 2009
9 pm
Rowasn Student Center Pit

1 comment:

  1. And my mom told you I was the Drama Queen! I didn't get the goosebumps at the end, I got the kleenex box. You did a report on her in 2nd grade, do u remember?

    ReplyDelete